[TYPO3-english] Extbase -> reduce queries in m:m relations

Robert Wildling rowild at gmx.net
Sun Sep 8 11:35:43 CEST 2013

Hi,

I have a kind of library extension that is really rich on m:m tables. It
is actually an event extension used as retrospective on an event that
took place once a year over the last 17 years. It contains event
information, people's profiles, concert data, catalogue of works,
location stuff etcetc, everything made with m:m relations, so a kind of
"data mining" presentation of all the info is easily possible.

When calling the overview event table, the querying process lasts very,
very long (something like 8 seconds on my local machine). There are only
17 events, but around 20 m:m relations to tables that again have
m:m-relations. Extbase's findAll() seems to read out *all* the
information of all those m:m connected tables as the ViewHelper
<f:debug> proves.

I know that there are functions like "->contains" and "->matching" to
build individual queries, but they don't seem to allow to limit the
amount of fields to be read, so they eventually again read out each and
everything.

Or am I wrong? Is there any way to tell an extbase query to only read a
very limited amount of fields from m:m-tables, even on the 3rd and 4th
level? (subselects?)

Thanks for your inputs!
Best regards,
Robert