[TYPO3-english] Re: DIR include of TypoScript

Andreas Becker (Andi) ab.becker at web.de
Wed Oct 16 00:25:38 CEST 2013

+1 Nico and Rene

Usability should be at first place and this will be especially true when ts2 will come.

*> ... it's already known under the same name: TypoScript*
>... exactly that all four types of TS have the same name (namely TypoScript)
>leads to a lot of confusion for beginning (and semi-experienced) TYPO3
>developers.

This is more than true and very time consuming as mentioned. To get more people interested in using TYPO3 it needs to be more transparent and not more confusing. Therefore a clear standardized naming will help a lot.

*> I will much more hope that people can structure there files in to directories*
>This is also a very useful suggestion, but I prefer it in combination with
>Ralf's suggestion as this ads a more rigid structure possibility.

Directories are good but not as good as Rene's suggestion. As only with his suggestion you would be able to find also TS parts which probably don't belong into a folder! Nicos idea with coloring would increase the level of usability even more. Best would be a combination of both!

*>It is exactly there for that purpose, but this doesn't mean we should
encourage people to use quite cryptic extensions.*

Rene's suggestion is not at all cryptic and it will be very fast common sense because it is much more transparent for users than .ts with something you don't know what typoscript it is for files.

*>Anyway, what is great with TYPO3 is the freedom we all have so that you
can choose whatever fits you best and even mix different methods if you
want.*

This can be seen quite differently from a Usability point of view. Standards and Conventions help usually to get more transparency.
The chaos which started in extensions was brought to a kickstarted which helped to keep standards and furthermore now to the extension builder and a very specific folder structure. The same should happen for TYPOscript, but as all this typoscript is actually for complete different purposes and should NOT be mixed up it is advised to keep different extensions.

*>
> PS: and for .ts2 you are right, this is FLOW/NEOS but there it is just
> as important to standardize this... otherwise we will have in the future
> thousends of snippets, and noone knows for what to use...

I would hope they get categorized anyway and not simply listed... :)*

Well "HOPE" does not help much in this case! What kind of categories? How should they get categorized? Will you still be able to SEE this categorization when you look to the file itself (before opening it)?

FAZIT:
Only Rene's suggestion actually shows the developers and users immediately what for they are! A Folder solution only, would not achieve this!

Those are the TYPO3-Office formats ;-) but instead of having a word-processor, a spreadsheet, a db and a presentation etc. we have user, setup, config, etc.