[TYPO3-english] Provider forces customers to update their software

Peter Kühnlein peter at function2form.net
Wed May 29 13:25:02 CEST 2013

Am 29.05.2013 13:08, schrieb Robert Wildling:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know your opinion about that:
>
> The Swiss provider hosttech.ch recently sent out an email telling
> their customers to update to newer software or get the current
> installation deleted because of too old and too insecure scripts that
> potentially endager the whole eco system of hosttech. So customers who
> are running e.g TYPO3 4.2 are forced to update to 4.5. Hosttech
> further says that this is a step that many providers undertake. Yet I
> do not find any other providers that act accordingly.
>
> Does anybody of you guys out there know about providers that act
> similarly?
>
> What do you think about such steps?
Hi Robert,

I bet you wouldn't like your installations ruined by some out dated,
insecure system another customer using the same provider still has
online. So I think if there are any security issues that threaten the
servers (of any) of my provider(s), I would be happy if they pointed
that out and encouraged and finally forced others (and myself) to update
their software. Honestly: 4.2 is quite outdated.

I had the reverse case where a provider made a server update without
duly checking if all the systems would still run there and without early
warning - and of course one of my old TYPO3 installations crashed. This
is not acceptable of course.

However: security first. So although I'm not aware of any provider
acting that way, I still find it at least acceptable, if not recommendable.

Cheers, Peter

--

http://function2form.net
http://peter-kuehnlein.net

"[I]f a warrior does not manifest courage on the outside and hold enough compassion to burst his chest, he cannot become a retainer."
(Hagakure)