[TYPO3-english] Provider forces customers to update their software

Rudy Gnodde rgn at windinternet.nl
Wed May 29 13:35:23 CEST 2013

Hello Robert,

Op 29-5-2013 13:08, Robert Wildling schreef:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know your opinion about that:
>
> The Swiss provider hosttech.ch recently sent out an email telling their
> customers to update to newer software or get the current installation
> deleted because of too old and too insecure scripts that potentially
> endager the whole eco system of hosttech. So customers who are running
> e.g TYPO3 4.2 are forced to update to 4.5. Hosttech further says that
> this is a step that many providers undertake. Yet I do not find any
> other providers that act accordingly.
>
> Does anybody of you guys out there know about providers that act similarly?
I've been with several providers that have a similar policy. One
actually had an automated system which checked version numbers of a lot
of CMS system, send out emails to clients that ran old versions, send
another warning after a few weeks and then after some time automatically
deleted the virtual host if I hadn't updated.

> What do you think about such steps?
A provider doesn't want one website using old/insecure versions of a CMS
threatening the entire server or network. A hacked server could also
send spam or spread virusses, in which case the server or even an entire
network could end up on a blacklist. How would you react if your website
stops working or your e-mail doesn't arrive because another customer of
your hosting provider uses an insecure version of a CMS?

So, yes, it's completely logical for a hosting provider to have this
policy. In fact, I'd say it's not just logical, but essential if you
want the server to remain secure.

Regards,

Rudy