[TYPO3-english] direct_mail TYPO3 6.0.x

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Sat May 4 15:33:24 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 4-5-2013 14:49, Xavier Perseguers wrote:
> I guess we have an important point here with Olivier. MANY users or
> agencies are still sticking to 4.5 LTS and myself only really started to
> think about ensuring my extensions were "6.x compatible" during
> development of 6.1.

Really?

It also shows one of the disadvantages of the LTS stuff:
integrators/agencies stick to old versions, developers don't update
extensions and the mass testing of the 6.x branch will only start once
6.2.1 is out (people "always" skip the x.x.0 versions). Then some issues
will come up with remarks that they don't understand why this isn't
fixed yet because after all 6.0 and 6.1 were out for a long time...

> However, I fully understand the frustration of persons willing to
> upgrade from 4.x to 6.x right now and discovering that their beloved
> extension is still not yet compatible although TYPO3 6.1.0 is out and
> the 5th version of 6.0 has been released.

Now you also show the chicken and egg part of the problem: you can't use
6.x until your "beloved" extension is compatible and extension authors
don't seem to update their extensions until people request the updates
because they need them for their 6.x project.
This circle has to be broken. Respectable (and responsible) extension
author could show the way and provide updates for their extensions
(because of all the compatibility layers mostly very small changes) and
users will see in the updates for their extensions that they are
compatible with 6.x. Hopefully this will trigger them to think about
moving forward...

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Core Team member