[TYPO3-english] THEMES - the tool for Designers, Template Builders and Content Creators

Kay Strobach typo3 at kay-strobach.de
Fri Jun 14 10:28:53 CEST 2013

Hi,

as developer of themes, i need to say, that even themes can't do magic ;D

But building websites is most times relying on similar elements.

That's what themes tries to make easy and to solve the dayly tasks :D
To achieve that we need a rock solid foundation of elements which can be
easily reused and extended :D

Regards
Kay

Am 14.06.13 10:06, schrieb Domi:
> Hi Joey,
>>> Then there comes the nice FCE handling in TV, which every editor loved
>>> because custom content elements where easy to use. Now I am concerned
>>> about
>>> this feature, because there are in my opinion two extensions battling
>>> doing
>>> the exact same thing: gridelements and fluidcontent.
>>
>> There is no battle, since FCE are not the focus of gridelements anyway.
>> Grid elements give you two things: A way to create content structures
>> having a backend layout on another level than pages and a lot of
>> usability enhancements to improve the working speed while using the
>> backend. The major advantage is, that they do this with a fully
>> normalized concept based on core functions and without the need of
>> extbase or fluid.
> Yes you are right, battle was not really the right word. And I see the
> point building the backend layout on a concept without need of extbase
> and fluid.
>>
>> The fact that you can build kind of FCE stuff with them is just a side
>> effect of the flexform field we had to integrate to have a smooth
>> migration from TV pages to grid elements. But it is not recommended,
>> since this makes people run into the same technical problems like with
>> TV.
>>
>> Personally I never understood the hype about FCE, since this is
>> something you can do with some TCA within just a few minutes and you
>> will need at least some TypoScript for each of them anyway.
>>
> Here fluidcontent and gridlayout are doing the same stuff, bringing the
> backend layout as content element. But I see, that the goal of
> gridelements was really just the backend grid, while fluidcontent goes
> more likely one step further and includes flexform simultaneously for
> each fce within backend grids. So if the editor needs a content grid
> only, he could use rather gridelements because I guess its more
> lightweight, but as soon you would like to predefine the flexform I
> guess fluidcontent would be faster in development.
>>> In gridelements there are multiple actions necessary for building one
>>> fce.
>>> Backend actions, then typoscript configuration and in the end the html
>>> file.
>>

>> You don't need any file there, since just some wraps will be enough to
>> get containers and children with the appropriate classes, the rest is up
>> to bootstrap and the like anyway.
>>
> For the wrap you need for sure TS, either inside of the BE or as file
> based typoscript. I guess its again just the developer choice, if the
> developer swiss knife is fluid/flux or typoscript.
>
>> But of course you can use fluid files as well, if you think this is a
>> good idea, since TypoScript gives you FLUIDTEMPLATE and the plugin
>> prepares addtional arrays for you. So Gridelements gives you the choice,
>> while fluidcontent forces you into the Extbase and Fluid world, which is
> [...]

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!
Get involved: http://typo3.org

Answer was useful - feel free to donate:
  -
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=KPM9NAV73VDF2
  - https://flattr.com/profile/kaystrobach