[TYPO3-english] THEMES - the tool for Designers, Template Builders and Content Creators

Domi djgarms at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 10:06:35 CEST 2013

Hi Joey,
>> Then there comes the nice FCE handling in TV, which every editor loved
>> because custom content elements where easy to use. Now I am concerned
>> about
>> this feature, because there are in my opinion two extensions battling
>> doing
>> the exact same thing: gridelements and fluidcontent.
>
> There is no battle, since FCE are not the focus of gridelements anyway.
> Grid elements give you two things: A way to create content structures
> having a backend layout on another level than pages and a lot of
> usability enhancements to improve the working speed while using the
> backend. The major advantage is, that they do this with a fully
> normalized concept based on core functions and without the need of
> extbase or fluid.
Yes you are right, battle was not really the right word. And I see the
point building the backend layout on a concept without need of extbase
and fluid.

> The fact that you can build kind of FCE stuff with them is just a side
> effect of the flexform field we had to integrate to have a smooth
> migration from TV pages to grid elements. But it is not recommended,
> since this makes people run into the same technical problems like with TV.
>
> Personally I never understood the hype about FCE, since this is
> something you can do with some TCA within just a few minutes and you
> will need at least some TypoScript for each of them anyway.

Here fluidcontent and gridlayout are doing the same stuff, bringing the
backend layout as content element. But I see, that the goal of
gridelements was really just the backend grid, while fluidcontent goes
more likely one step further and includes flexform simultaneously for
each fce within backend grids. So if the editor needs a content grid
only, he could use rather gridelements because I guess its more
lightweight, but as soon you would like to predefine the flexform I
guess fluidcontent would be faster in development.
>> In gridelements there are multiple actions necessary for building one
>> fce.
>> Backend actions, then typoscript configuration and in the end the html
>> file.
>

> You don't need any file there, since just some wraps will be enough to
> get containers and children with the appropriate classes, the rest is up
> to bootstrap and the like anyway.

For the wrap you need for sure TS, either inside of the BE or as file
based typoscript. I guess its again just the developer choice, if the
developer swiss knife is fluid/flux or typoscript.

> But of course you can use fluid files as well, if you think this is a
> good idea, since TypoScript gives you FLUIDTEMPLATE and the plugin
> prepares addtional arrays for you. So Gridelements gives you the choice,
> while fluidcontent forces you into the Extbase and Fluid world, which is
> it's major advantage and it's major drawback at the same time.
>
> But the actual point is: TYPO3 makes use of extensions to give the users
> a choice. It's not up to the core to decide which way to go, but up to
> the people. This is why neither TV nor gridelements nor fluidcontent are
> "officially" part of the core. Gridelements has been built as a core
> project but was never included.

Sure this is all what's TYPO3 is about. But I hope with THEMES it will
be possible to show really cool stuff for content editors, we should
convince people to choose TYPO3 over other CMS. And this only happen, if
the "content management" is really nice to handle and is going further
than the standard core elements.

Also the BE CSS should get some attention, would like to bring in maybe
some design ideas.

> Still the Grid Packages project is open for everybody to join, so if you
> want to get more fluid in there, feel free to provide your package as well.

I will see you at the THEMES meeting for sure. I guess I'm fulfilled
with the fluidcontent extbase/fluid world, as it provides already all
features I would need. And beside that typoscript is not my strength...:-|

Cheers,
Dominic