[TYPO3-english] A black day for the TYPO3 community

Thomas Skierlo pubtsk1 at pix-pro.eu
Mon Jun 10 11:31:04 CEST 2013

Hi,

discussions on various lists over the last years proved to me that,
after the old captain has abandoned the ship, a new management has moved
in. It's members are all captains, or to be more precise, they are
"programming captains" with a firm understanding of the very latest
programming paradigms -- but a serious lack of understanding of the term
"CMS". CMS were once invented to allow "normal, none programming people"
to publish content. TV was (and still is) a strong building stone for
those users, since the core continuously neglects the demand for
modern/individual content elements. Today we have an ultraslim core,
which can't really handle "Content" in terms of today's needs.

Over the last 5 years I noticed a very strange thing. While the vast
majority of users build feature rich websites with the help of TV, some
core team members started a kind of campaign against TV ("nobody needs
TV"). Hopefully they only did it for technical reasons. I don't know.

I stopped using TV for new projects for that very reason in 2008, just
to find out that there was no real alternative. In fact there isn't any
today, at least if you wish to use versioning as well as multilingual
features. I knew that the time would come for a hard break between TV
and the core, and I expected it for 6.0. To my surpriseTolleivagain did
the trick. Now he stops any further development -- and I can clearly
understand his decision.

Without attending TYPO3 Camp Stuttgart I really feel ashame for those
people cheering on Tolleiv's decision to stop TV. I doubt that any of
them will ever play a positive role in a way Tolleiv did.

I'd wish the people in the core team would realize the need for a
sophisticated content element inside the core. In an (E)CMS the "C"-part
can never be a place for an extension. It's like a car manufacturer
which only builds chassis, leaving engines to the community. This will
never work, as you can see if you realize the decrease of TYPO3's
popularity over the years.

The current situation is no problem for the inner circle. Itactually
might even profit from it --at least until the last customer of TYPO3
hasmoved on to other shores. For TYPO3 it's just another stab in it's
back -- possibly the final one.

I've burned thousands of hours taking pace with TYPO3 development since
2008, and on my way I've lost any hope in the existence of reasonable
strategies for TYPO3 -- not as a development framework, but as a CMS,
which it once was.

Anyhow: Thank you for your great work, Tolleiv!

Regards,

Thomas Skierlo