[TYPO3-english] Current Documentation format

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Feb 15 09:47:56 CET 2013

Hi Thomas,

> I'm just about finishing my first Extbase extension and the only part
> that's missing is documentation. I've learned, that
> OpenOffice/LibreOffice format SXW is dead, as well as DocBook, and I've
> red that ALL of TYPO3 6.0 documentation hast moved to Rest. Looking into
> forge I notice that all files under the "doc" folder of sysextensions
> are still in SWX format.

We are in a phase of transition, hence the confusion that you may
perceive. Indeed all official documentation has been moved ReST. For
extensions, it is our aim in the near future. The current situation is
that - if you choose ReST - the link to the documentation will not
appear in the TER, but it is still geared to detect only
"doc/manual.sxw". The manual will be rendered on:

http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/

which is unfinished, in the sense that it doesn't have the proper look &
feel and is unusable for lack of a search/filter feature. This is
something we are currently working on.

TBH I'm not sure what answer to give you. If you want to be sure that
the documentation of your extension is available to the widest audience
possible, stick to SXW. As you can see from the page indicated above,
all manuals are automatically transformed to ReST. So you could at a
later stage - pick up that source to officially move your manual to
ReST, without having to start all over again.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter