[TYPO3-english] responsive mobile menu

bernd wilke t3ng at bernd-wilke.net
Fri Dec 6 08:43:20 CET 2013

Am 05.12.13 23:22, schrieb Katja Lampela:
> Hi,
>
> I'm searching for a way to implement mobile navigation for a big (and
> oldish) site.
>
> If I understand correctly, there are two main ways to implement mobile
> navigation; javascript (select dropdown menu) and jquery menu.
>
> The site uses t3jquery for several plugins and it's been very hard to
> find any jquery menu that works and doesn't conflict with existing
> features. So far I haven't found any.
>
> I would use the the simpler javascript solution, select menu, but at the
> moment iOS 7 select dropdowns in big sites are quite.. hmm.. well ugly
> and hard to use and since iPhones are very common, we wouldn't want to
> use that.
>
> So, what would be your recommendation? I suppose it is not possible to
> load different versions of jquery for different plugin. Or have I missed
> some good menu option?

what you are looking for is a responsive design so it may be in a very
small area. the problem with changing an existing design to match the
possibilities of a smartphone are two points:
- smartphones does not have hovers (but have swipes)
- the size of the screen

you could simulate responsive with javascript by changing the DOM and
the events after detecting another device, but propably it would be
easier to install a complete responsive design including layout and
'automatic changed' menus. and so it may result in a design similar to a
whole bunch of other sites.

bernd
--
http://www.pi-phi.de/cheatsheet.html