[TYPO3-english] worried about 4.x (6.x)

Georg Ringer typo3 at ringerge.org
Fri Oct 12 15:32:54 CEST 2012

Hi Thomas,

thanks for your posting, interesting to read.

>Only thing which is missing is a decent way to get some constants
> into the Fluidtemplate, without defining them as variables. I asked for
> help on the lists last month, but never got a hint or a solution.

constants never get to the FE, those are just to be used in TS (Setup),
nothing to do with extbase but maybe yeah it would make sense to get
those too ...

Short answer about the TV/FCE/Grid thing: YES this is missing in the
core, nothing more to say.

> Now, after spending a couple of month with extbase I still didn't
> succeed in building my own content elements.

this has nothing to do with extbase.

> Besides
> that: Does anybody still believe in any later migration path? From 6 to
> Neos?

absolutly, of course it wouln't be a drag'n'drop but both CMS got a
structured content and you just night a script doing that, this is
something most of day to for bigger projects all the time. But of
course: You won't migrate to neos like you would from 4-5 to 4-7 ;)

> One thing seems to be pretty clear: There's no room for TV in the Neos
> world, so my motivation to get it to version 6.x wouldn't be too big,
> since it will be the final -- call it burial - level. On the other hand,
> there is no current alternative. At least I couldn't find any. Now
> substitute TV with any other important extension name, and you'll get
> closer to the real problem we are all facing today.

just to get it right: I don't know why there is currently such a TV
bashing. If you are fine with it, just use it. It won't get removed from
TER nor will it stop working in the next versions. Of course it might
have drawbacks for some guys but which solution doesn't?

> Please don't be too harsh with people getting nervous about TYPO3.
> Better listen to their words by filtering out any emotions which might
> spoil the real meaning. Many people did invest a fortune to "understand"
> TYPO3. To learn, how it can be used to even build up an own business. If
> they feel, that their personal invest is taken at risk, they are getting
> nervous. Some will tell you about that feelings, others will not, just
> moving on to other products silently.

Just because Neos will be used in production ones, it doesn't mean that
the old cms will be killed. But of course: the web is changing very fast
and this has nothing to do with TYPO3, HTML5, CSS3, responsive, apps,
... so many new things which pop up all the time. Of course you need to
learn all the time and yes of course a CMS changes too.

> I would have loved to participate much more in the community, either by
> member fees or personal labor. Just imagine my 4-month struggle with a
> working FCE replacement, which isn't been over yet. What a waste of
> time, one might think. Would love to give back my solution to the
> community, but couldn't find any. Would love to give my time to the
> community, but can't spare any because I have to keep up with new
> techniques.

this is all fine, we all now this fight. We all would love to do more
but all you do is fine and great! Every single article you write is
worth a lot.

> What I am missing is a TYPO3 team "above" the core team -- let's call
> them "Big Picture Ensurers", "Keepers of Usability" or "Tamers of
> Scientists" (especially the last task is often the most unpleasant, but
> mostly needed one).

maybe you are looking for this:
http://association.typo3.org/expert-advisory-board/ref/assoc/

> Is the current official version of TYPO3 INCLUDING
> mission critical community extensions still able to build up a modern,
> 2012 website?

sure it is. but of course it always depends on your customer, your
knowledge, ...

> Is it still a suitable base for integrators, or has it
> moved to a state which can only be handled by developers?

This is tricky. IMO it is getting hard as integrator to work with TYPO3
without knowing at least a bit PHP. Of course you don't need it but you
can make your life quite easier. This is still true and has not changed.

> If so,
> wouldn't it be fair to share this very important information? And
> please, don't mention 4.5LTS. It is not really a long term solution.
> What might help with the problems might be another LTS commitment. At
> least this worked better than the Manifesto :-)

There will be another LTS.

> I'm quite sure that extbase/Fluid is excellent. Probably FED/Flux is
> excellent too. Why not combine both into one, or even add Gridelements,
> for BE presentation? I didn't find "my" solution in any part of the
> active players group.

extbase has nothing to do with grid or FCE. But again: yes a cool
solution is missing in the core.

> Why don't give the outside world a break by slowing down any further
> development of new technology before the old one had a decent chance to
> keep up?

Sorry don't really understand that? Fed, Flux, TV, gridelements are all
from the community and not the core.

> Can't imagine that I'm the only one with this FCE problem today. Where
> can I join any kind of FCE task force or at least get in touch with
> others struggling with the same beast right now?

There are enough of you for sure.

Georg