[TYPO3-english] worried about 4.x (6.x)

Thomas Skierlo pubtsk1 at pix-pro.eu
Fri Oct 12 18:11:28 CEST 2012

Hi Georg,
>> Now, after spending a couple of month with extbase I still didn't
>> succeed in building my own content elements.
> this has nothing to do with extbase.

Your probably right. Writing an extbase extension for my custom content
element just didn't succeed. Be it because of my personal lack of
knowledge, be it because of a basic problem in content definition in
early days of TYPO3. Whatever the reason may be. I tried it hard and I
did without success. This experience is new for me, because until a
couple of month ago I could solve any potential problem within TYPO3 or
extensions on my own. Since I entered the TYPO3 scene in 2008, I never
felt it necessary to learn pi-based programming, since I knew from the
very beginning that a better replacement was on it's way. Problem is,
that all extbase documentation is cutting out all aspects of TYPO3
development which are identical in the worlds of pi-base and extbase. So
you are urged to learn outdated stuff just to understand the new one.
That's no fun.
>> One thing seems to be pretty clear: There's no room for TV in the Neos
>> world, so my motivation to get it to version 6.x wouldn't be too big,
>> since it will be the final -- call it burial - level. On the other hand,
>> there is no current alternative. At least I couldn't find any. Now
>> substitute TV with any other important extension name, and you'll get
>> closer to the real problem we are all facing today.
> just to get it right: I don't know why there is currently such a TV
> bashing. If you are fine with it, just use it. It won't get removed from
> TER nor will it stop working in the next versions. Of course it might
> have drawbacks for some guys but which solution doesn't?

No, I'm afraid you didn't get that point right. I hope I've made sure in
my post that I'm in a learning phase right now. I'm perfectly aware that
I can continue to use the excellent TV for quite some time, but I want
to be ready for the day to come. So I am trying things which are
promoted over many years. Felt at home with extbase from the very
beginning, because I was used to MVC principles. I even felt at home
with Fluid right from the start. I liked it. Needed some time to find
out about the limitations and problems. That's where I am now. Mission
accomplished? No. I feel responsible for my (future) clients, and I'm
worried about a missing feature which is essential for a modern ECMS -
name it whatever you like.
>> What I am missing is a TYPO3 team "above" the core team -- let's call
>> them "Big Picture Ensurers", "Keepers of Usability" or "Tamers of
>> Scientists" (especially the last task is often the most unpleasant, but
>> mostly needed one).
> maybe you are looking for this:
> http://association.typo3.org/expert-advisory-board/ref/assoc/

Yes and no. The given fields of responsibility are all of essential
importance, I agree. But they are not sufficent. What I mean is the big
picture of usability for one (still - or formerly important) target user
group, the system integrators, who finally helped spreading the word. Do
they still get what they need - in a way which is both understandable as
well as sophisticated? Are all external extensions which are mission
critical for a real ECMS brought to the next level or are at least
substituted by solid replacements? No? Than stop the train or otherwise
damage may occurr to the main product.

>> If so,
>> wouldn't it be fair to share this very important information? And
>> please, don't mention 4.5LTS. It is not really a long term solution.
>> What might help with the problems might be another LTS commitment. At
>> least this worked better than the Manifesto :-)
> There will be another LTS.

That is very good news!

>> Why don't give the outside world a break by slowing down any further
>> development of new technology before the old one had a decent chance to
>> keep up?
> Sorry don't really understand that? Fed, Flux, TV, gridelements are all
> from the community and not the core.

That doesn't matter. As long as community extensions are needed for
basic scaffolding within the CMS, they are of same importance as the
core itself - at least in the real world. To name a few: Url-Management,
News system, powerful templating. Ease of templating alway was one motor
of success for TYPO3, and for many integrators this part is getting
harder and harder with any new (sub)release. Surely I could offer
websites without FCE functionality. Nobody needs an accordion, it only
builds up barriers. I know that, you know that. But will the next client
know that too? Should I learn Joomla just to serve people with a need
for accordions? No way. Don't like the idea.

Anyhow, maybe I stumble about my desire to use a product without any
limitations, at least after having a time with a product like that
(formerly known als TYPO3 :-). I'll keep on trying but I would like to
switch on my personal little alarm light, which is flashing currently
saying: "Something is going wrong right now. Something is moving much
too fast."

Just my thoughts

Regards

Thomas