[TYPO3-english] Rebranding: Get the green back

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Wed Oct 10 13:43:10 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 10-10-2012 13:11, Stefano Cecere wrote:
> i would have loved to stay all on the same boat (the 6.x) bringing the
> best parts of FLOW and NEOS experience integrated into it.
> but it seems it was impossible.
>
> there will be probably splits in the future.. someone will bring on

That's a very pessimistic view and not at all what is currently planned
and envisioned. Prior to T3DD12 there was a Core Team meeting. The devs
working on TYPO3 CMS and the devs working on Neos explicitly agreed that:
- there is only one Core Team; some members work more on a certain
product or certain features, others work on other parts
- both products will converge; this means that functionality of either
product will be built in the other procuct
- new features will be created for both products; for each feature we
will see if the implementation can be shared somehow

There is a tool available (work in progress obviously) to convert
content from TYPO3 CMS to Neos.

In every aspect the goal is that it will become easier and easier to
convert TYPO3 CMS sites to Neos in the future.

As soon as Neos contains the features you need for a web site you can
take the jump earlier and rebuild the website based on Neos. If you wait
a bit long the conversion will become easier.

By no means will the TYPO3 CMS become a product which only receives
bugfixes but will be left to die; at least not soon. The time frame
really depends on the speed of the development of Neos, packages for
Neos, the conversion tools, etc.
The more sites will use Neos instead of TYPO3 CMS the more effort will
go into Neos.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Core Team member