[TYPO3-english] Rebranding: Get the green back

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Tue Oct 9 08:48:02 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 8-10-2012 10:34, Martin Bless wrote:
> Here's what I think: We have a strong brand TYPO3 with a clear
> logo since years. It is "orange and green". You would only touch
> ANYTHING of a well established visual symbol (shape, color,
> Freiraum, ...) if you really have GOOD reasons. The reasons given
> above are not *good* reasons in that sense.

Search for 'brand logo history' (without the quotes) on the web and
you'll see logo changes over the years for major brands. Reasons can not
always be given, simply because they are part of a long term strategy.
Such a strategy would of course not be made public.

Good products have no trouble surviving changes in branding; they might
even get stronger. People have a natural tendency to be against any
change. It is simpler for your mind to keep things that seem to work the
same. Hence the expressions "never change a winning team" and "if it
ain't broken, don't fix it".
On the other hand one could also say that standing still means going
backwards in an ever changing world. The "team [that is] winning" today
will not necessarily be winning tomorrow.

> As you said and showed: Even children recognize the TYPO3 logo.
> And *one* reason for that definitely is the orange/green color
> scheme. It is already "overlearned". Without that green you simply
> suck the soul out of the symbol.

The shape is so unique and distinct that it really doesn't matter IMO.
The logo may already be used in different colours (one colour only) and
is used that way in many cases.

I personally don't like the colour orange at all. It's probably my least
favourite colour. I would prefer a warm scarlet red or a deep cobalt
blue. This doesn't prevent me from buying and eating oranges, carrots
and pumpkins.

TYPO3 CMS 6.0 will mean a big step forward in many areas. Still I
predict a lot of criticism from a (small) number of people. That will
always be the case. The version number is killing TYPO3, the name of a
new product is wrong, the speakers on a conference are not speaking
correct English, without this feature the product is doomed, etcetera.

Be flexible, adapt to changes, welcome the future and above all,
contribute with what you can do best (not personally addressed to you
Martin as you already do a lot for the documentation).

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!