[TYPO3-english] TypoScript editing with jEdit

Loek Hilgersom loek at netcoop.nl
Fri May 25 00:37:00 CEST 2012

Hi Guiseppe,

The extension jeditvfs is very, very old (2006) and hasn't been maintained
since. I have tried it in 2006 or 2007 and already back then there were problems
with version compatibilities between TYPO3, jEdit and some addtional libraries
for the vfs iirc.
It was an interesting idea, but apparently hard to get stable and/or maintain.

Just forget about it. Just store your Typoscript in files and use an external
editor with a Typoscript plugin. Cross-platform you can use jEdit, Netbeans or
Phpstorm for that, on Windows you also have Notepad++. There may be others that
I don't know of.

If you want to edit those files directly on a remote server (if you really want
to do that, I hope it's a development server then and not your live system) then
you can set up a remote file share with sshfs/fuse (available for linux and mac,
I guess there's something similar for Windows) which makes your remote files
editable as if they were local.

jEdit also has a sftp plugin specifically for directly editing files on remote
systems, so you don't need the other sshfs/fuse thing. But if you want to take
it seriously, I would consider using an IDE like Netbeans or Phpstorm and not
work on remote files directly but develop locally and only deploy to a server
when you know it works.

Hth,
Loek