[TYPO3-english] Is there any need for an English TYPO3 discussion forum?

Andreas Becker ab.becker at web.de
Mon May 14 13:38:28 CEST 2012

Hi Thomas

This discussion comes up nearly every 3 months and always with the same
result - NO

First I thought also Forum would be much better but since years now I
follow the mailing lists and it is far more professional, much much faster
in response and I am happy also to answer beginner questions. Actually they
help even those you do jobs in TYPO3 since years to recognize perhaps some
elementary stuff again and again - thats good and it is actually the best
way of Learning.

We meanwhile hat a request for another great open source system called
OpenTaps - well Forum - great but not great was the time until we actually
have got an answer on our request. As OpenTaps is build of OfBiz we had a
look here. Here same like with TYPO3 no Forum but mailing lists. And
the response time went often down to really no time. The people at OfBiz
often seem to be even faster responding than those at TYPO3 and they are
already very fast.

Like in TYPO3 also on the OfBiz Mailing Lists you are really welcome as a
beginner. Great! No need for a Forum but perphaps a need of a better "Tone"
in talking to each other, so that beginners don't get shocked when they
need to read things like:

"Read the manual" - often there is none and most likely people already
searched for it also in Google
"Google it"
"Learn to read"
etc.

Better would be IMHO:

"Hi welcome, I had the same problem ..... and present in short words the
solution"
The newby will be happy and will come back more often and you will learn
about each other much better than in a forum.

FAZIT: A Forum seems to be a static (dead) thing (your post needs to be
kissed by a prince to be awaked) which isn't as flexible as a mailing
list (where one post kan return immediately many kisses :-) which reaches
all subscribers immediately while a request on a Forum site has to wait
until somebody is interested in IT.

There are actually very very good English Support Forums for TYPO3.
Interesting that you don't know about them as they are one of the
greatest contributors to TYPO3 with their Ideas especially for TemplaVoila.

have a look here: http://webempoweredchurch.org/support/forum/

IMHO there is no need for another place in the web to search for
information. Better would be that the mailinglist articles itself get
stored and be searchable in a forum like style and on the old
typo3.orgwebsite there was one example already with a hidden link but
now its gone,
perhaps someone else can point out where this functionality is right now on
the new typo3 .org website.

Andi