[TYPO3-english] Is there any need for an English TYPO3 discussion forum?

Thomas Skierlo pubtsk1 at pix-pro.eu
Mon May 14 13:06:19 CEST 2012

Hi everybody,

I'm a German living in the Netherlands, who prefers to discuss technical
matters in English forums and lists. I'm a participating on this list
for about two month now, and I like the friendliness and quality of it
very much.

All official TYPO3 documentation is in English and the product localizes
extremely well. I think that many people, like me before, do not
subscribe to mailing lists, mainly because they are looking for other
forms of information first, like discussion forums, which might be a
more modern approach -- at least a more convenient one.

One major aspect of a forum is the fact, that beginners get good hints,
mainly from other, more advanced beginners and intermediates. A forum
therefore could help to keep the very basic questions out of the mailing
lists, which always will cover more advanced topics.

If you use Google for some usage statistics you'll find out that TYPO3's
acceptance is extremely good for the German (or similar) language
countries, like Austria, Switzerland, the Netherlands, and it's
popularity and installation-count is decreasing outside the EU and
Scandinavian countries. Imagine yourself a young turkish CMS developer,
who wants to learn more about TYPO3. Besides the official documentation
he or she would hunt for information in Turkish or English language, but
definitely no in German.

Today we have two well administrated and lively forums in German
language and, at least after my short research, not even one in English.
Other users and I suggested an "English" section for the most active
German TYPO3 forum at http://www.typo3forum.net
<http://www.typo3forum.net/> , and the makers behind it would agree to
open one (or more), if it would really be of general interest.

I was asked to discuss this matter on the mailing list -- voilà. I'm a
plain user of the forum mentioned, and not an owner or maker of it

Would you like to have an English language subsection on this popular
forum - not as an alternative to this excellent mailing list, but as an
addition? If yes, which structure should it have?

All of you who can read German will find the active discussion under
http://www.typo3forum.net/forum/aenderungen/49716-typo3-forum-englisch.html.
Use this thread as well if you like.

TIA for any feedback,

Thomas Skierlo