[TYPO3-english] is TYPO3 moving away from global extensions?

Andreas Becker ab.becker at web.de
Thu Mar 29 15:31:49 CEST 2012

Actually we always changed the "ext" folder into a symlink to a global
folder where we store all our stuff which should be available globally i.e.
also lots od l10n stuff.

So our setting was:

global/conf/configuration which was holding all general settings for the
sites on one server i.e. gm oder image magick or many stuff you have to do
otherwise over and over again per site
global/conf/ext which was holding all global extensions
global/conf/l10n which is holding all language translations on one server
global/file/demo which holdes several demo objects which are available on
all the sites for content creation like demo.pdf or  a .doc or images audi
video etc
global/sources/typo3_scr-1.2.3
global/sources/typo3_src-1.2.3/typo3/[ext] which is a symlink to an
external folder - in our case /global/conf/ext

site/typo3conf/[l10n] gets symlinked in most cases to global/conf/l10n
site/fileadmin/[demo] gets symlinked to global/file/demo

if there was a db change or a dependency change we had to update all sites
and actually have taken this specific extension out of the global folder
also for future updates.

This worked wonderful for years already and is quite easy to maintain.

But we changed already last year as more on more threads were mentioning
that the ext folder no more get supported. And the biggest problem at all
is meanwhile that those who run the site get not asked or informed long
time before about those changes what core developers are actually doing.
Suddenly your sites will be gone - relax sabei sabei and drink a coffee. So
better don't trust and change it now so you are on safer ground when it is
gone. - and your customers too!

Andi