[TYPO3-english] Last TYPO3 version without fluid/extbase

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Mon Dec 24 09:05:51 CET 2012

Hi,

On 23-12-2012 22:13, Tonix (Antonio Nati) wrote:
>> After all, what is your problem with the license? It pretty much allows
>> everything, except distributing your own version without sharing the
>> code.
>
> My own version, derivative code, and code with business logic which
> calls TYPO3 libraries.
>
> TYPO3 4.* license is extremely limiting, while 6.0 (if I dont get wrong)
> let you link to typo3 libraries without sharing the code.

TYPO3 4.x and 6.x have the same license. Since July 2008 it mentions GPL
v2 or later.

As said earlier, you can do a lot without license issues. Unless you
want to take TYPO3, completely rebrand it as "ToniCMS" and sell it as
your own product (maybe with some modifications). But that wouldn't be
nice anyway IMO.

There are plenty of options to modify and extend the behaviour of TYPO3
without modifying the sources. You can simply require a version of TYPO3
for your extended features and you don't have to distribute the TYPO3
code yourself.
The extra bonus is that you get bugfixes and security fixes without
having to backport everything to your own codebase.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!