[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 Customer Feedback Initiative

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Fri Dec 21 13:20:24 CET 2012

> Honestly, I see a lot of confusion in what you say.

Exactly this is the reason for Patrick's approach, since actually there
should be no confusion in what I described, but it seems some developers
are confused by this way of thinking. No offense meant, I just would
like to see people start looking beyond the rim of their teacup.

> These customers should be business/application oriented people. If they
> are able to discriminate between different CMS is because some CMS are
> more oriented to their business needs, while other are not.

One of these business needs is - and in this case it's a very important
one - that editors working on the same project will be able to provide
content for the intranet solution based on TYPO3 as fast as possible
without any performance impact on the frontend users. So one of the
major demands is a focus on performance and usability, while for example
maintainability and clean code are not as important. - Do you see the
difference to the current scope of TYPO3 development?

> And I don't see how a core developer could write a business oriented
> function, without beeing extremely expert on the business logic.

The "business oriented function" in this case would be a really fast
backend with lots of helpers for the daily work of a power user. There
are of course lots of other scenarios that would enable any core
developer to provide a solution without being an expert on the
particular business of that client.

> At the contrary, if they are evaluating a CMS for internal development
> (as it looks because you say they work in IT departments), they are
> developer and not end customers. Real end customers are the non IT
> departments which will use the final product.

They are evaluating a CMS that prvoides most of the functionality they
need for the management of the content of their intranet out of the box,
so they don't have to develop too many functions on their own. Of course
there are custom extensions as well, but they have been developed mainly
due to the fact that things like Extbase or TemplaVoila are not focused
on performance and/or usability and were simply unusable with 12.000
pages containing 200.000 content elements provided for 8 different
clients having 100.000 frontend users.

This is just one of many examples why it is important that developers
start working for the demands of the customers using their software
instead of creating their own requirements.

Cheers

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de