[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 CMS 6.0 activate sorting in page module?

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Sat Dec 8 11:57:44 CET 2012

Am 07.12.2012 11:33, schrieb Sacha Vorbeck:
> Hi Gregor,
>  >> Can anyone confirm this or help me with enabling it?
>> you can use drag & drop for sorting now...
>
> ;-) I`m aware of that and would still like to know if and how the
> sorting buttons can be enabled again.

Exactly: Drag & drop is nice when you want to move elements between
columns or for longer distances. In any other case a simple click on a
sorting icon is much faster and therefor the better choice regarding
usability and performance.

While checking 6.x compatibility of Grid Elements I noticed the missing
icons as well.
IMHO the "redesign" of the page module is at least questionable.
On the one hand important buttons have been removed (sorting, add CE on
top of the module etc.) on the other hand buttons have been moved to
places where they are just wasting space (add CE after another CE),
which leads to a signifcant change of the overall height of the page
module forcing the user to scroll down.

Not reloading the page module with drag & drop IMHO is questionable as
well, since you won't notice changes made by other editors early enough.
Especially when you enable copies with drag & drop you would have to
create ALL the classes, JS and HTML code for the newly created element
at the client side and modify the rest of the elements accordingly,
which is.much more complicated than a simple reload. (Maybe this is the
reason, why drag & drop currently only works while moving elements?)

Currently our plan in the Grid Elements team is, to reenable the "old"
behaviour with Grid Elements and provide a slightly modified page module
with less waste of space, more functionality, active sorting buttons,
completely working drag & drop actions and drag in of new content
elements. After all we should take care of the needs of the users, which
seems to be slightly different to the perception of these needs within
the design team.

This is why have been asking the users before we will start refactoring
our extension and why we enabled people to buy features they find
important enough for the code sprint in January 2013.

Maybe we can convince the core team to go this way together with us. :-)

Have a nice weekend

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de