[TYPO3-english] Gridelements, semantic content and the right strategies

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Fri Aug 17 11:26:45 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 16-8-2012 20:24, Thomas Skierlo wrote:
> ok, I understand. Those projects may or may not find their way into the
> core or a system extension. Same happened to DAM-like features, which
> were announced for 4.7 as well, if I remember it right. What should I do
> if I need DAM now. Install it as a community extension, fill it with
> data and notice at the release of 6.1 that DAM-like features are
> included now into the file module - in an incompatible way to old DAM
> records?

You refer to FAL (File Abstraction Layer). We tried to get it into 4.7;
the beta release was even postponed to allow a team of developer to get
it ready enough for beta. Unfortunately that didn't work out. Instead of
risking an incomplete feature the decision was taken to move it to the
next version.

FAL is not about having DAM-like features, it's about having an API for
handling files without having to think about the actual way to approach
that file. A "file" can be in the local file system, a remote system,
etc. and FAL will take care of the right way to communicate with that
storage.

FAL needs to store some basic information about a "file" and new
versions of DAM will support FAL (according to the DAM team). Just as
there is an Upgrade Wizard for FAL in the Install Tool I expect that
there will be an Update script (which you can activate in the Extension
Manager) for DAM.

> Marker based templates might have been an ECMS feature in the late 90's,
> but they aren't today.

We need to support them because a lot of sites still use them (including
TemplaVoilà).

> A lightweight core is perfect, but it must be
> accompanied by robust system extensions for all basic scaffolding.

It sounds like you are miss something?

> I strongly believe that nobody needs TYPO3 6.0 until a robust tool is
> available for the basic templating 3.0 out of the box.

A lot of people won't agree with you, but only time will tell.

> You are not a polititian, are you ? :-)

No, not at all :-) It's just that you are seeking for predictions and
promises that nobody can give you. If a list of sub projects already
makes you jump to conclusions about a strong tie, a prediction can only
backfire in the future where you might interpret it as a solid promise.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!