[TYPO3-english] Integrating external DB via API into Typo3

Bernd Wilke t3ng at pi-phi.tk
Mon Nov 21 14:29:17 CET 2011

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 11:27:10 +0100, Bart Zonneveld wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I'm currently struggling with the following problem, and I hope someone
> from the list can clear some things up.
>
> My client has an existing Typo3 setup, namely a website about a
> filmfestival. They want a general database to store movie information
> in, which I'll build for them. This database will contain movies,
> directors, screenings, basically a lot of business logic specific to
> their situation. I've looked into the wfqbe extension, but since the
> business logic is rather extensive, I cannot model this in wfqbe.
>
> Ideally, I want to build an external app with database to store all the
> information, and retrieve this information in the frontend of Typo3. All
> authentication and business logic can be handled in this app, so no need
> for a link between the backend of Typo3 and this database.
>
> However, the information in the database should be available in Typo3.
> The users of the Typo3 setup should ideally be able to fill their
> templates with information is stored in the external app. Since I'll
> build this app from scratch, I can offer the information in a variety of
> formats, JSON-P, RSS, XML and so on.
>
> Can you advise me on the best way to connect an external app to the
> templates in Typo3?

I don't get it why you have to do it in an external application.

so it might be a lot of tables with much relations you can build it
inside the TYPO3 DB and use TYPO3-BE for editing with the TYPO3 build in
features to control access.

on the other way you can use the data in an easy way for the TYPO3 FE:
I have not done it yet, but it sounds like you may use the 'extension
builder' to get easy rendering with extbase and FLUID-templates.

and for Ajax: do you want the data to be indexed by google?

bernd