[TYPO3-english] Advice on upgrading 4.2.12

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 15 22:19:22 CET 2011

Hi,

On 15-11-2011 19:52, yanagik317 at netscape.net wrote:
> I like/need to upgrade this, preferably to a new RHEL 6 server
> running PHP 5.3.x and maybe to the latest Typo3 4.4.x.  I'm a little
> hesitant to move to Typo3 4.5 in this particular downtime I can get

I'd personally go in steps to the latest version:

1. Make sure I have the latest version of the extensions which are
compatible with 4.2 / PHP 5.2 on the site. Make backups and try upgrades
of each version.

2. Move the installation to the PHP 5.3 server. Don't try to run it, but
upgrade the core to 4.3. Run upgrade wizards, etc. and see if we can get
this running. Upgrade extensions and test if everything runs correctly.
If necessary use alternative extensions.
Keep a log of all the steps taken to achieve a running site

3. Upgrade to 4.4, upgrade extensions, test, test, test. Keep a log of
all steps taken.

4. Upgrade to 4.5 and later 4.6.

5. Test thoroughly until you're certain everything runs fine.

Now you've made a test migration which hopefully ended with a fully
working site. If you're satisfied you have detailed instructions to
repeat the process at the time when you want to migrate the site.

This leaves the current site running on the old server and you have
plenty of time to figure out how to fix the issues you might find.

If step 2 doesn't work out you can try to upgrade to 4.3 first on the
old server (make backups!) and then move to the new server. 4.3 and
higher are designed to work on PHP 5.3 too.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.