[TYPO3-english] Advice on upgrading 4.2.12

yanagik317 at netscape.net yanagik317 at netscape.net
Tue Nov 15 19:52:18 CET 2011

Hello Typo3 people,

I've got a Typo3 box that runs 4.2.12 on RHEL 5 running PHP 5.2.13.  Database runs on a separate box and I'm going to leave it where it's located.

I like/need to upgrade this, preferably to a new RHEL 6 server running PHP 5.3.x and maybe to the latest Typo3 4.4.x.  I'm a little hesitant to move to Typo3 4.5 in this particular downtime I can get (but I'm open to be persuaded if people have had pretty easy times running upgrades in succession).

I read some docs and decided that I should (after backing up):

1. Make sure all the plugins in use are compatible with Typo3 4.4.x and PHP 5.3
2. Upgrade Typo3 to 4.4.x
3. Move to the new server

I'm not sure how compatible Typo3 4.2.12 is with PHP 5.3.x so I'm moving to the new server last.

Is this a decent course of action, and if somebody has done something like this I'd appreciate your input.  I'd sure like to know if I'm missing something or lots of things.

Thank you,

--Koji