[TYPO3-english] Fexible content element renames my images?

Stephan Schuler Stephan.Schuler at netlogix.de
Fri Mar 18 21:52:30 CET 2011

Hey Morten.

http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/core-documentation/doc_core_api/4.3.0/view/4/2/#id2525241

Please check your FCE data structure. There you will find a TCA "type:group" and "internal_type:file".
TYPO3 default behaviour on internal_type:file (the only behaviour on that type) is to copy a selected image to your "uploads" folder or, if configured, to copy them to a specific foder inside that "upload" folder. Have a look at the attribute "uploadfolder".
The internal_type:file only stores the file name without the directory. That's possible because each file is copied to the same "uploads" directory with a unique name. If the file being copied to the uploads directory conflicts with anouther file there, TYPO3 renames the later copied one.

That's what Björn said.

Since TYPO3 version 4.3 (I think so but i'm not sure about the version number) there is an additional internal_type called "file_reference" which will not copy files. Where the internal_type:file stores only file names, the internal_type:file_reference stores the complete file path of the source file.

The internal_type:file needs more space on your file system because of duplicating files every time you connect them to a database record. If you use that type with large files like videos, this could be a problem. But on the other side, you can change or even remove the source file without any effect on your FCE.

Because internal_type:file_reference doesn't copy files, it doesn't use the space on your file system multiple times. But on the other hand, when you change or remove your source file, that instantly influences all FCE the file is used.

There's no better or less good sollution for that "problem" because it isn't a problem at all. You should think about what you want the FCE behave. Often you want to have copied files, for example if you have lot of editors working on your site that have no overview where the files are ued. But sometimes you don't want to have files copied, on large files like videos for example.

So you should think about if you realy want to avoid the file copy thing or not.
As Björn said, if you want to use the copied files you should use the "10.file.import = uploads/". But I'm not sure if the files are realy copied to the "uploads" folder directly or to something like "uploads/templavoila" or something.

Regards,

Stephan Schuler
Web-Entwickler

Telefon: +49 (911) 539909 - 0
E-Mail: Stephan.Schuler at netlogix.de
Website: media.netlogix.de

--
netlogix GmbH & Co. KG
IT-Services | IT-Training | Media

netlogix GmbH & Co. KG ist eingetragen am Amtsgericht Nürnberg (HRA 13338)
Persönlich haftende Gesellschafterin: netlogix Verwaltungs GmbH (HRB 20634)
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE 233472254
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Buchta, Matthias Schmidt