[TYPO3-english] Whatever - was: DirectMail Subscription Replacement?

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 22 15:53:47 CET 2011

Hi,

On 22-12-2011 13:34, Steffen Gebert wrote:
>  > We could need some love on those non-core features from the core-devs
>  > in 2012!
> I must say that I really disagree. You don't want me to build you such
> an extension. If you had in mind that such an extension should not be
> part of the core, just a high-quality extension developed by members of
> the Core Team, I still disagree - of course, maybe others are more
> talented and/or interested
> My message is: We are no gods. We do just spend a lot of time on a
> specific part of the big TYPO3 open source ecosystem: The core. We
> neither have the time to develop *and* maintain also essential
> extensions. That's why there's the separation between core and extensions.

Unfortunately I have to agree with Steffen here. As long as everything
(or most things) is done voluntarily in peoples spare (or donated) time
future support of features or modules is very unsure.

Because of many half baked changes / features ("this has to be done in a
later patch") I am very negative about additions/changes which are
incomplete.

I also noticed that there is simply too much that needs to be done and
not enough people to do it. It's pretty frustrating if you notice that
you are practically the only person working on the translation of new
core labels of a language shortly before a release.

Of course core team members are willing to help extension developers to
get their extensions ready for a new version. But I don't think that we
have the time to work on major extension or even to include the
functionality in the core.

> It's all my personal opinion and not an official statement of any team
> I'm a member of. It got pretty long, sorry. You knew my opinion before,
> but still I want to express publicly that I see the need for more
> man-power (everywhere).

Same here, even though some people told me that there is a lot of
man-power in the community and we "only" have to mobilize it...

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.