[TYPO3-english] Translations (core and extensions) in general - what's the status?

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at typo3.org
Mon Nov 22 16:40:15 CET 2010

Hi!

Steffen Gebert wrote:
>> I'm writing to the general mailing list, since the translations
>> mailing list seems more or less dead [1].
>
> There's not so much to discuss ;-)

That's true. That list is for requests and help.

>> The idea of having a central translation server, facilitating
>> translations of everything core and extensions is good – but is anyone
>> using it anymore?
> Of course, the core uses it and the translators translate it into their
> languages. If sb. wants to have an extension installed to translate it,
> Dmitry installs it (and also updates the extensions from time to time).

...usually twice a month.

> The information in the wiki is IMHO useless (why should it be of
> interest?). I think it should be removed as it is not maintained.

I know thyat several teams use it to agree on common terms that do not
translate well natively (such as "mount points").

> The project of rewriting the translation server died some time ago, I
> know of nobody working on it. There was a GsoC project, but IIRC the
> outcome wasn't usable to replace LL-XML.
> However nobody is happy with the situation, as the server is e.g. not
> version-aware and labels are changed in all TYPO3 versions, if modified.

Some time ago I posted a set of steps (like a project plan) necessary to
create a better support of translations in TYPO3 including versions and
dialetcs of languages (French/French, French/Canadian, etc) but I do not
remember what happened after that. If anybody wants to pick this up, you
are welcome and I am happy to provide any consultations about the subject.

As to the status... Currently I support translation server, do updates,
install extensions and answer queries. That's all what happens. There are
also certain problems with fetching translations from mirrors using TER.
Basically this is all what can be said about translations.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core&security team member