[TYPO3-english] Stop filelinks from appending version numbers

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Wed May 26 20:21:38 CEST 2010

Arne Schmitz wrote:
> Whenever I add a filelink to some file, the filename (chosen from the
> filelist residing in fileadmin/) gets appended with a string like "_XX",
> where XX is an increasing number. The filename in fileadmin/ does not
> contain this suffix. However, after I save the changes to the filelink
> object, the file is copied to upload/media/ and appended with this
> number. How can I either make filelinks to overwrite the files in
> upload/media/ or -- even better! -- to *directly* link to the fileadmin/
> structure?

This mechanism is used by TYPO3 to safely use files for its own
purposes. You should see the fileadmin as a collection of source files.
Whenever you use one of those files in the content a copy will be made
(and possibly be manipulated in some way). If you want to use the same
file in another place, a different copy is made (an possibly
manipulated). This way the original file in the fileadmin is always
available in its unmodified state.

You don't have to worry about this mechanism, TYPO3 will take care of
the copying, etc.

--
Jigal van Hemert
skype:jigal.van.hemert