[TYPO3-english] COA inside another COA - is it a wise thing?

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Tue May 11 12:02:48 CEST 2010

Hi!

Ralf-René Schröder wrote:
> thats also interesting for me... maybe an example
> there are 20 objects to map, there is the possibility to put it in 2 COA
> with 10 objects
> What will the better way:
> mapping 20 lib.object.path with single objects
> or mapping 2 lib.object.path with 10 objects in a COA
> ???

No straight answer. You need to find the optimal solution. Imagine, for
example, that you have a page with:
- menu
- language links for 3 languages
- news block in the sidebar
- 4 links at the bottom (copyright, disclaimer, etc)

If you map these all separately, you end up with 9 DS objects. It works but
it is more than necessary. Have a look back to the list: you already have
natural grouping with 4 objects. So make 4 objects in DS! Use TMENU for
links because it gives you same rendering for all links autopmatically
(with COA you will need to change 4 different objects inside COA). Use
TMENU for language selector as well because menu give you language selector
automatically. Use TS object path for news and content block for content
area. Easy and simple to create and (more importantly!) maintain.

It is best like that: try to find natural grouping and use it.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 expert / TYPO3 core&security teams member