[TYPO3-english] Typo3 multilanguage issues

ppraveenk praveen.penupati at gmail.com
Tue May 4 07:35:24 CEST 2010

Hi All,

I am a newbie to typo3.
I am trying to host a website in multiple languages.
I am using the one tree approach and Localization Manager extension.
So far I had succeeded in hosting my site in 3 different languages Spanish,
German and Chinese.
How ever I am facing three issues as described below:

1. I have the website home page generated by typoscript template using the
automake template parser extension where I have a "home.html" with some
default subparts and markers. The main template typoscript fetches the
title, single content [tt_news] from different pages in the page tree. Now
can you please explain me  how can I make this page available in other
languages. Please find a snapshot of my template typoscript:

  subparts.mediaheading = HMENU
  subparts.mediaheading {
    special = directory
    special.value = 19
    1 = TMENU
    1.NO.allWrap >
  }
  subparts.mediacontent < plugin.tt_news
  subparts.mediacontent {
    templateFile = fileadmin/templates/media_home.html
    defaultCode = LIST
    limit = 1
    singlePid = 142
    pid_list = 141
    noPageBrowser = 1
    backPid = 21
  }

2. I have a bread crumb present in the website. Now when I visit a
translated page with news article, the breadcrumb appears in the default
language [English], but not in the translated language. I tried using
filterfield and onlyUID but not able to achieve what I need. Please explain
how can I get the breadcrumb in the translated language. Also there is a
text "Here you are.." hard coded in the typoscript. Is there a way, to
translate this text using some conditions in the typoscript? I tried using
[globalVar = GP:L = 3] conditions, but no limelight. Here comes the
typoscript for breadcrumbs:

subparts.breadcrumbs = COA
  subparts.breadcrumbs.10 = HTML
  subparts.breadcrumbs.10.value = Here You are...&nbsp;
  subparts.breadcrumbs.20 = HMENU
  subparts.breadcrumbs.20 {
    entryLevel = 0
    special = rootline
    1 = TMENU
    1.NO.allWrap = &nbsp;|*| &nbsp;/&nbsp; |*| &nbsp;/&nbsp;<strong>
    1.wrap = |</strong>
  }
  subparts.breadcrumbs.30 = RECORDS
  subparts.breadcrumbs.30 {
    dontCheckPid = 1
    tables = tt_news
    source.data = GPvar:tx_ttnews|tt_news
    conf.tt_news = TEXT
    conf.tt_news.field = title
    conf.tt_news.required = 1
    conf.tt_news.wrap = &nbsp;/&nbsp;|
  }

3. I had changed the charset to UTF8 using
"$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['BE']['forceCharset'] = 'utf-8';" in my localconf.php. Now
I get the Chinese, Spanish characters. But in the front end single quotes,
double quotes and some other characters are visible as '?'. Can you please
explain how can I resolve this. I had checked the Chinese characters in the
database and they are visible as some junk characters like ' 漢語', but in
the front end Chinese characters are visible normally. Is it necessary to
make the MYSQL database UTF8 compatible? [As adding forceCharset in
localconf.php has done the job for me except for few characters like "", ',
...]

Thanks for being patient and hope some reply soon.

Cheers!
praveen.