[TYPO3-english] choosing typo3

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Thu Mar 25 14:19:52 CET 2010

On Mar 25, 2010, at 5:02 AM, Cameron wrote:

> Drupal is superior to Typo3 in almost every way. Typo3 is an
> exercise in
> over-engineered academic CMS concepts, whereas Drupal + CCK + Views
> = 90% of

Would you mind explaining what CCK is??

> any website you would actually end up putting together for a client.
> Typoscript is quite literally the most insane thing I have seen in
> 14 years
> of my career in the IT industry.

I think everybody has a love/hate relationship with TS, however I
think iot's one
of the main benefits of TYPO3. Also, didn't you notice that a LOT of
programs (any program)
do have build in scripting languages to modify programs behavior?
Could be Java, Javascript, Python and what not...

> The other MAJOR issue, and one that seals it completely for me, is
> that the
> community around Drupal is 50 times the size of the Typo3 one. What
> this
> means is that any problem you have, the solution is a Google search
> away.

Yeaaa... but didn't you notice that the TYPO3 community is much more
professional?

i did try setup a Drupal website, but got quickly lost looking for my
websites structure,
and as far as I could see... there isn't any!!! HELP where are my
pages!!!! (it has been a while)

Ries

> The same simply does not apply for Typo3. Any CMS is going to take
> you a
> month or so to really get up to speed with, but with Drupal you'll
> find the
> perfect balance between flexibility and functionality.

TYPO3 has no balance, it IS flexible and it IS functional, it has BOTH.

> With Typo3 you'll be
> battling this arcane, lunatic bloody Typoscript system and not being
> able to
> find anyone to help.

if YOU don't understand typoscript, then this is a problem, don't
blame TS, blame
yourself for not understanding.

Ries