[TYPO3-english] choosing typo3

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Thu Mar 25 12:32:23 CET 2010

I have to disagree in most of your points. Personally I started out with
a CMS system in 2003 - 2004, and started with testing Mambo, eZ Publish,
Drupal and PostNuke. As an non-developer, knowing nothing about PHP,
every one of these was easy to install and get a site up and running,
but when I wanted to implement my own design I got stuck very soon.

Then I tried TYPO3, and in a fairly short time I had a site with my own
design up and running.

Den 25.03.2010 11:02, skrev Cameron:
> Drupal is superior to Typo3 in almost every way. Typo3 is an exercise in
> over-engineered academic CMS concepts, whereas Drupal + CCK + Views = 90% of
> any website you would actually end up putting together for a client.

Yes, in many part it's over-enginered - like a lot of others enterprise
CMS. And you are correct that 90 % could be made with Drupal. But I bet
that you are going to use more and less the same amount of time that I
would do with TYPO3.

> Typoscript is quite literally the most insane thing I have seen in 14 years
> of my career in the IT industry.

Then you havent's seen how to configure some other Enterprise CMS.

TypoScript is the main reason that I still are using TYPO3. Of course it
has flaws and some missing logic, but the power and flexibility of
TypoScript gives opportunities I haven't seen in any other CMS. With
only a few lines of code, you can change most of you website.

> The other MAJOR issue, and one that seals it completely for me, is that the
> community around Drupal is 50 times the size of the Typo3 one. What this
> means is that any problem you have, the solution is a Google search away.
> The same simply does not apply for Typo3. Any CMS is going to take you a
> month or so to really get up to speed with, but with Drupal you'll find the
> perfect balance between flexibility and functionality. With Typo3 you'll be
> battling this arcane, lunatic bloody Typoscript system and not being able to
> find anyone to help. This isn't a *criticism* of the Typo3 community, you
> guys are plenty helpful enough, it's just that there's simply not enough of
> you.

I have never in my years using TYPO3 had any problems getting help. In
95 % of the cases I have found it with a Google search, or reading a bit
more in the manuals. The 5 % rest I have got help on the mailing list.
And I haven't only made small and easy websites.

Else, the size of a community isn't the same as quality.

Regards

Erik Svendsen