[TYPO3-english] License of the introduction package

Ron Hall ronslists at busynoggin.com
Mon Jul 12 20:36:16 CEST 2010

Hi Jigal,

> It is however a bit counter-productive to see that energy is divided among various starter packages.
> There is a forge project [1] for the Introduction Package. Wouldn't it be great if all the energy could be bundled to make the next version a package which would be enough reason for everybody to start using TYPO3?

I do not really see it as that counter productive simply because there is no way to avoid multiple packages unless everyone wanted the same kind of site and were willing to build it the same way. The WEC package exists because it is tailored to a specific user i.e. ministry-oriented church sites. They pre-install extensions that are of use to that segment making it easier for the less sophisticated user within that segment to get started. That people use their package for other purposes than churches is a testament to how well they have done it. But no TYPO3 starter package for general use should include all the extensions they include for their segment. Therefore they have to use a special starter package.

In regards to a package like my Busy Noggin QuickSite, it exists simply to allow a ready-to-go package for those interested in using TV framework approach to templating which WEC also uses. So, in each instance these starter packages exist for a specific purpose that would not be filled by a general, official TYPO3 intro package. And, of course, both of these packages were created before there was such a thing offered officially by the project.

I was glad to see the intro package available with 4.4. It is something we have needed for a long-time and will be a big help to new adopters. From what I have seen it is well-done. I think using the auto-parser / MTB approach to templating makes sense for that package. I originally started with that method and it is solid. I now no longer use it preferring another approach which is why I have my own starter.

Since there are legitimate reasons for individual starter packages to exist, I expect they will continue to be built and expanded. However, I think that all the starters can learn from each other as they develop their individual approaches and best practices.

Intro packages are targeted for newbies and that is a very important thing. Newbies do not abandon TYPO3 because it is to powerful for them. They abandon it because they cannot figure it out. The new 4.4 intro package is an important first step for helping with that situation and as newbie documentation is upgraded it will get even better.

Thanks,
Ron Hall

Busy Noggin, Inc.
a web development agency

www.busynoggin.com
templavoila.busynoggin.com

Twitter: busynoggin (general web tweets)
Twitter: typo3ron (for TYPO3 specific tweets)