[TYPO3-english] Virtual Hosting and Typo3

John.C.Kennedy at LDHEnergy.com John.C.Kennedy at LDHEnergy.com
Fri Jul 2 18:05:42 CEST 2010

We have 2 sites. One English and one Chinese. They are both hosted on the
same server with Typo3 installed. We have been tasked to set up the
Virtual hosting and have 2 instances of Typo3. We (in IT) understand that
this is not necessarily the best way  to do it but we must do as we are
told.
In our testing environment we want http://www.example.com to point to the
English instance and http://www.example.com/china to point to the Chinese
version.
The English site works. When we try and go to www.example.com/china we get
a 404 error.

We have the following in /etc/httpd/vhosts:
01-example-com.conf and 02-example-com-cn.conf

01-example-com.conf looks like:

<VirtualHost 10.10.10.10:80>
        ServerName www.example.com
        ServerAlias  www.example.com
        ServerAdmin webmaster at example.com

        DocumentRoot /www/typo3.sites/htdocs
        ErrorLog        logs/typo3-error.log
        CustomLog       logs/typo3-access.log combined

        AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
        DirectoryIndex  index.php index.html

        <Directory /www/typo3.sites>
                Options FollowSymLinks

02-example-com-cn.conf looks like:

        ServerAdmin webmaster at example.com
        ServerPath /china

        DocumentRoot /www/typo3.cn/htdocs
        ErrorLog        logs/typo3-error.log
        CustomLog       logs/typo3-access.log combined

        AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
        DirectoryIndex  index.php index.html

        <Directory /www/typo3.cn>
                Options FollowSymLinks
                AllowOverride None
        </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

The file structure of both the DocumentRoot directories (essentially) the
same. Permissions are correct.
What are we missing here? Is more info needed?

Thanks,
John