[TYPO3-english] beginner to plugin development

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov+t3ml at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 08:43:08 CET 2010

Hi!

On 2010-02-15 22:49:59 +0200, David Bruchmann said:
> Concerning your point of stableness I'd like to here the details of
> that you think that they are not stable or will change ...

There is no kickstarter. There is no documentation for Extbase or Fluid
(no even extension manual). Official blogExample extension does not
work smoothly in any its version. This is what I call "not stable". I
consider the feature stable when:
– API is not changing
– no major (!) internal changes in last half a year
– there is a complete documentation
– there are working tutorials and examples
– (for Extbase) there is a working kickstarter

In other words, it is stable if people can use it without hacking it
every time. This is the case with "old" approach: kickstarter generates
the skeleton, you add a bit of your code and you got an extension. This
is not the case yet with Extbase. It is "alpha" in my opinion: you have
to code all manually, you have no docs, you have to debug its core if
anything goes wrong. It is not stable. It does not let you to make your
work, it forces you to sidetrack. It should not happen.

I must tell that it is not a bad side of Extbase. It is a common
problem for any new technology developed as open source. It needs some
time to become stable. Than it will be widely adopted. People will gain
a lot from it when it becomes stable.

In my opinion Extbase is a big step forward for TYPO3 but it needs a
lot of polishing and ASAP. If I were one of T3A big guys, I would push
this as much as possible...

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 expert / TYPO3 security team member