[TYPO3-english] Extensions potentially violating the GPL

Tonix (Antonio Nati) tonix at interazioni.it
Thu Dec 16 11:43:07 CET 2010

Il 16/12/2010 10:46, JoH asenau ha scritto:
>> If you develop an important extension at your cost, and you have to
>> "live" with your work, or you keep all the work for you, or you just
>> publish a (complete or reduced) version in compiled state.
>> If extension is well documented and complies all TYPO3 programming
>> rules, why not including it in TER?
> Because this is against the principles of Open Source and TYPO3 as well.
> After all "Inspiring people to share" isn't just a slogan, but the TYPO3 way from the very beginning.
>
> Don't you think that the TYPO3 core and most of the popular extensions have been developed "at someones cost" too?

Most important extensions have been developed at cost of companies,
which agreed to release the work as open source.
So those companies paid for the work, and agreed to share the work
because that operation would not damage their "core business".

> Would you prefer to get a reduced and compiled core instead of the fully GPLed, open and brand new 4.5 stuff all the contributors including myself have been developing for you and all the other TYPO3 users, because we have to make a living?

If I was an hobbist, all my contributions can be free. If I'am
professional, I have to earn and live with my work.

I publish some opensource (chkuser, a qmail/vpopmail stuff) as
completely free, because I want to partecipate actively to opensource.
But I feel some particular works I do cannot be free, for whatever
reasons you want.

So, if I write an extension handling security, I will publish it GPL,
but if I write a commercial center management (payed by my time), I want
to live on it.

> The interesting thing about Open Source is, that you will start to easily make a living as soon as you have learned to give back without thinking about the payment. At least for us this has created most of the contacts to people who are doing their bigger paid projects with us today.

The intesting thing about open source is that all people thinks to start
a business using other's work.
Sharing ideas, inspiring others is a completely different matter.

Regards,

Tonino

> Just my 2 cents :-)
>
> Joey

         Inter at zioni            Interazioni di Antonio Nati
    http://www.interazioni.it      tonix at interazioni.it