[TYPO3-english] Extensions potentially violating the GPL

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Thu Dec 16 10:46:02 CET 2010

> If you develop an important extension at your cost, and you have to
> "live" with your work, or you keep all the work for you, or you just
> publish a (complete or reduced) version in compiled state.
> If extension is well documented and complies all TYPO3 programming
> rules, why not including it in TER?

Because this is against the principles of Open Source and TYPO3 as well.
After all "Inspiring people to share" isn't just a slogan, but the TYPO3 way from the very beginning.

Don't you think that the TYPO3 core and most of the popular extensions have been developed "at someones cost" too?
Would you prefer to get a reduced and compiled core instead of the fully GPLed, open and brand new 4.5 stuff all the contributors including myself have been developing for you and all the other TYPO3 users, because we have to make a living?

The interesting thing about Open Source is, that you will start to easily make a living as soon as you have learned to give back without thinking about the payment. At least for us this has created most of the contacts to people who are doing their bigger paid projects with us today.

Just my 2 cents :-)

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de