[TYPO3-english] bogus install locked problem

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Fri Apr 9 07:39:27 CEST 2010

	I tried to upgrade a typo3 install from 4.0 to 4.2.5 last
night. Just switched the main typo3_src link, and then when I logged
into the backend it mostly worked but told me I should upgrade using
the install tool. I followed its instructions, including setting
compat mode to <=4.1.
	Now, the front end actually seems to work fine.
	But the back end fails badly. Everytime I access
sitename.com/typo3 I first get a database error, no database
selected, then an inststantaneous redirect to
http://sitename.com/typo3/typo3/install/index.php?mode=123&step=1&password=joh316
	yes, default password and all (default password is no longer
sites login password) which returns
>The Install Tool is locked.
>
>Fix: Create a file typo3conf/ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL
>This file may simply be empty.

	etc. it returns this message whether or not
typo3conf/ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL is present.
	Suggestions?

	Cheers
		David