[TYPO3-english] Hide a field in the backend without affecting default settings

Jochem Nabuurs jochem at roquin.nl
Mon Nov 30 11:08:44 CET 2009

Sorry, something went wrong with submitting my question

The problem I have consists of the following:

I've created a usergroup (editors) which are allowed to edit all pages.
They should also be able to create FE users.
For this I've created the following pagestructure (sysfolders) which
contain the users.

+ City
     + City name 1
     + City name 2
     + City name 3
     + City name 4

Upon creation, a usergroup is assigned to the user, depending on the
sysfolder in which it is located. This is done by adding
*TCAdefaults.tt_news.category = <usergroupid> *to the sysfolders page
TSconfig.A user is not allowed to have more than one usergroup assigned.

 From a usability point of view, what I'd like to do is restrict the
editors from being able to select a usergroup for a user. This is done
by default upon creation of a user so there is no need for editors do do
this.

I've tried hiding the usergroup field in the BE user registration form,
which you get when adding a new FE user, by adding the following to the
user TSconfig of the editors usergroup:
*page.TCEFORM.fe_users.usergroup.disabled = 1
*
Now, when I try to create a user under the editors account, the field is
hidden. So far so good.
But when I want to log in under the account of the created user, it
won't work, because there is no usergroup assigned to the user.

Apparently, using the disabled setting in page TSconfig for the
usergroup field renders the TCAdefaults settings useless.
I think this is because the field is physically removed, so it is not
available for BE processing.

*My question:*

Is there a way to hide the usergroup field for the editors usergoup
while retaining the possibility to set a default value per sysfolder
(with TCAdefaults f.e.)
Limiting the number of choices in the usergroup selection box to 1 is
also an option, as is the disabling (grey out) of the selection items.
Maybe this is possible with *TCEFORM.fe_users.usergroup.removeItems*,
but I haven't checked this yet.

Kind regards,

Jochem Nabuurs
ROQUIN E-Solutions