[TYPO3-english] Browser Detection Code

bernd wilke x00nsji02 at sneakemail.com
Mon Nov 16 15:55:28 CET 2009

Am Mon, 16 Nov 2009 08:58:52 +0100 schrieb Christopher Schnell:

> bernd wilke schrieb:
>> or just browser-conditions (conditional comments) to include special
>> CSS- files for every(?) IE-version:
>>
>> bernd
>>
> http://meiert.com/en/blog/20070201/why-conditional-comments-are-bad-
repeat-bad/
> http://meiert.com/en/blog/20080824/to-be-clear/

personally I don't like browser-conditions at all.
I don't like browser-special-solutions of any kind.
The purpose of HTML (+CSS) never(!) was to have a unique appearance in
every browser, on every computer. HTML-design is no print-design!!!

But as long as customers insist on having
a) layouts accurate to the pixel in every browser
b) supporting antique browsers like IE6
it's my best solution against having different pages for each browser
detected by PHP/Typoscript, which is as bad as having a HTML/text-version
of a page which is realized in flash just to support search-engines or to
be 'barrier-free'.

and believe me: in one point Meiert is absolutely wrong:
CSS-Hacks are more problematic to maintain than Conditional-Comments!
I had some sites with CSS-hacks. after the releases of IE7 and IE8 all
these sites were more complicated to maintain than those with Conditional-
Comments. The new browsers don't care about the CSS-hack-selections for
the old browsers and for each hack you have to find a new individual
solution.

bernd
--
http://www.pi-phi.de/cheatsheet.html