[TYPO3-english] Browser Detection Code

Christopher Torgalson bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 16:16:20 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 6:55 AM, bernd wilke <x00nsji02 at sneakemail.com> wrote:
> Am Mon, 16 Nov 2009 08:58:52 +0100 schrieb Christopher Schnell:
>
>> bernd wilke schrieb:
>
> personally I don't like browser-conditions at all.
> I don't like browser-special-solutions of any kind.
> The purpose of HTML (+CSS) never(!) was to have a unique appearance in
> every browser, on every computer. HTML-design is no print-design!!!
>
> But as long as customers insist on having
> a) layouts accurate to the pixel in every browser
> b) supporting antique browsers like IE6
> it's my best solution against having different pages for each browser
> detected by PHP/Typoscript, which is as bad as having a HTML/text-version
> of a page which is realized in flash just to support search-engines or to
> be 'barrier-free'.
>
> and believe me: in one point Meiert is absolutely wrong:
> CSS-Hacks are more problematic to maintain than Conditional-Comments!
> I had some sites with CSS-hacks. after the releases of IE7 and IE8 all
> these sites were more complicated to maintain than those with Conditional-
> Comments. The new browsers don't care about the CSS-hack-selections for
> the old browsers and for each hack you have to find a new individual
> solution.

+1

I'd also add that Meiert's principal criticism--that conditional
comments make pages harder to maintain--is absurd when they're being
deployed from a content management system where they can be altered or
removed by changing a few lines of code in one central location (even
if the site has tens of thousands of pages).

--
Christopher Torgalson
http://www.typo3apprentice.com/