[TYPO3-english] GMENU with semi transparent PNG's

Iztok Kham pajek at pajcevina.net
Wed Nov 4 13:51:04 CET 2009

Hello list!

I have a GMENU with buttons (they are all the same) with drop shadow
over a background that is a bit different for each of them (there is a
gradient on the background).

At the moment I have generic (ie. without text/name in it) images for
regular button, rollover button and active button. They all (except for
the active one) have a drop shadow. When I use semi transparent PNGs for
button background drop shadow is correctly applied, only background is
not transparent anymore.

You can see what is rendered and what I need to come out here:
http://www.studiokham.com/t3-probs/gmenu-dropshadow/

What I would like to know is: is it possible to generate a GMENU with
semi transparent PNGs.

If that is not possible, is it then possible to define a background for
every menu entry.
- First example: for the first entry use <image1.png> for background,
for second <image2.png> and so on.
- Second example: use coordinates 0,0 to 160,46 from <big_bkg_image.png>
for first entry, coordinates 170,0 to 330,46 for second and so on (x
offset is in my case consistant - all buttons are of same width, so
first offest would be <entry_no>x<butt_width>).

I would actually prefer the second example solution as I can create a
single image for background and then apply button with drop shadow over
it (and render link name over that). This way it would be pretty easy to
maintain background consistency.

Is there a TypoScript way to achieve this?

-- Iztok