[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 Training Method Survey

Andreas Becker ab.becker at web.de
Sat May 30 05:16:47 CEST 2009

Hi Virgil
Where is Part 2 and 3 of this survey?

Your questionnaire is interesting but unfortunately it is only asking
general questions about how to learn but not what would be the best way for
TYPO3 to learn and WHY - It is simply much to general to present an
(incomplete) list of learning methods to a community. Also I am missing some
more in deep examples to be evaluated:

i.e. take a WEC Class and ask what people like, why and why not
i.e. take some commercial TYPO3 Videos and ask the same questions
i.e. take some examples from books and ask the same
i.e. take the podcasts and ask why they are good for learning or why not -
what could be improved
and so on

There are so many examples of TYPO3 Leanring content available in the
Internet which could be used for this evaluation and to develop a real good
concept for a New Way To Learn Typo3!

I.e the best way of learning is always a combination of different methods
and channels.
and than there are lots of problems not mentioned.

Language Barrier:

   1. There are lots of Video Trainings which aren't actual usable for
   people who don't know German as they are NOT in English
   2. Most communications are old om the German Mailing lists and people who
   don't understand German are simply out
   3. Most literature is in German

User Groups - Social Gatherings:

   1. Over Year and actually still TYPO3 is mainly focusing on a community
   in Europe (mainly Germany) instead of spreading the word worldwide and
   getting involved more people i.e. from Asia, even Africa or South America.
   Beside a little Australia and US there is simply nothing!
   2. Snow Board Tour, DeveloperDays, T3Conn ... take place mainly in
   Germany and its surrounding countries. Now even the TYPO3 Integrator
   Certification is NOT available here in Asia where people would like to take
   the exams too I guess.
   3. The Integration of people from low cost countries gets often very hard
   discussed on forums and lists and this isn't really useful to build up a
   worldwide community, as these people do a very good job and meanwhile are
   the ones spreading the word of TYPO3 to their own regions often facing now
   huge Joomla and Drupal UserGroups. They had ben using the other approach and
   spread the word to the world and are now fast growing in these countries to
   create and discover new markets - TYPO3 not.

On Site Trainings, Search for Qualified Developers, Prices - Costs

   1. we i.e. have given several Trainings in the past years at UNESCO here
   in Bangkok with great success after web format had started with the first
   training in Thailand at all in 2006. We have now a very small - more
   internal - ThaiPo3 usergroup. But regional distances are huge here and
   therefor TYPO3 User Group Meetings like you have i.e. in Stuttgart or
   elsewhere are simply not possible and affordable (traveling costs).
   2. We talked to companies, agencies and developers here and they really
   like TYPO3 when they see it, but they simply can't find TYPO3 Developers or
   developers who would like to invest in TYPO3 even they already are setting
   up lots of websites in Joomla and making good money with it! TYPO3 is more
   expensive than a Joomla Page and people don't have often so much funds to
   pay for these expenses!
   3. While in Germany manpower is expensive in most of the South East Asian
   Countries + India man power is very very cheap and therefore still most of
   the websites are simple individual html/php sites. People even do see the
   great benefit of a CMS at all!

Longterm Continuous Support (i.e. Magento, eZ-Publish, ... )

   1. TYPO3 is still missing some kind of valuable support model. The TYPO3
   Integrator sounds nice but when you tell people here about it they start
   laughing as they don't want a TYPO3 Integrator they want somebody who can
   build the site on time with a high quality. In other words people in these
   countries look for what you do and not for what you have a paper or
   certificate for.
   2. On the other hand nearly all are meanwhile looking for long term
   support and therefore looking for agencies who can provide them with these
   support (especially a bit bigger companies) They don't like anymore the
   switching forth and back between developers who are perfect for the moment
   an than gone and the next one needs lots of time to get into the old TYPO3
   System.
   3. More and more people also want support meanwhile 24/7 and don't care
   where in the world the supporter is helping. They don't need somebody
   holding hands onsite but somebody who can help fast and when help is needed.
   i.e. we give e-, skype, phone and chat support for WEC and T3Pack (which is
   an extended WEC and 100% compatible to WEC) TYPO3 websites, but often people
   contact us with their TYPO3 website problems which are not WEC and it is
   much harder to help them as we don't have a similar system what they are
   running here onsite and first need to figure out how their site has been
   build. >> Standards (like those known from WEC) are missing!

Internships

   1. The best way to learn TYPO3 is to learn it from somebody who has
   already experiences in setting up TYPO3 website. Therefore more Internships
   would be needed.
   2. i.e we provide students from all around the world who would like to
   develop website using TYPO3, eZ-Publish, Magento, Presto, Silverstripe,
   Drupal and Web 2.0 Mashups and Applications i.e. for Marketing to come to
   us. Here they can work together with local developers. We provide them with
   a maximum 3 year visa and work permit. They need to bring good skill sets
   and be willing to train our local people. It helps us to train our local
   students and developers in "western work habits" by foreigners, it also
   trains their English skills and it helps us a lot to get more TYPO3
   developers - as our company is looking mainly for Interims with TYPO3 skill
   sets! On the other hand our interims enjoy the flexible halfday working
   hours and the flair of ICT Innovation Paradise in Andaman Sea - to be an ICT
   (TYPO3) pioneer with great recreational effect :-)

Bringing the world together will help us to lower any TYPO3 learning
barriers and to discover new markets all around the world. You yourself are
also active in Asia/China an I guess you know what great market we are
talking about!

Get it for TYPO3

Andi