[TYPO3-english] t3blog and templavoila

Christopher Torgalson bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Mon May 11 21:18:48 CEST 2009

Hi Dominic,

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Dominic Brander <dominic at typo3.org> wrote:
> Hi all
> thanks for all your valuable inputs.

Thanks for the work on the extension :)

> I think mostly t3blog is just misunderstood. It's main idea is to create
> a blog page where all the widgets are displayed and not a "normal"
> webpage where the plugins of the blog are displayed... This is by far
> too complicate.
> You CAN use the different plugins throughout your site, but i strongly
> suggest to stick to the main idea: create ONE page and put all your blog
> stuff on it. We've created the plugins just to give you some more
> freedom including parts of your blog (like the latest comments)
> somewhere on your webpage. But it is NOT the main goal to do it this
> way. Sorry for not communicating this clear enough.
>
> And for the TemplaVoila users: Sorry, I never liked it and I have not
> really tested on TemplaVoila. But I know it works well, but you might
> run into problems when using it the plugin (=not "officially"
> recommended) way.
>
> Concerning the future of the blog-extension:
> We will launch this week (maybe) a new version whith little changes.
>
> Concerning your "it is not build the way it should"... Hmm, to be
> honest: Is there REALLY a way such an extension should be built?
> It is not storing the data it should? It just stores the data the way
> IRRE stores the data... No additional magic here.
> Or did I misunderstand this part? Please feel free to teach me how this
> should be like.

Well, I think all I'm saying is that what you describe above as a
feature of the extension designed to give more freedom actually makes
it more difficult to use the extension in certain TYPO3 contexts
(including, but not limited to TV). If I've already built page
templates, then because t3blog assumes its own TS will be in charge of
page rendering, there's a lot of work involved in making t3blog
conform to my existing templates This is not usually the case with
TYPO3 extensions (where e.g. I may need to customize the content
TS/template/markup, but not the page TS/template/markup...)

As I mentioned before, the BE module of the extension is an almost
unqualified success (it's really great but for the small matter of the
duplicate content in TV), but the FE rendering is very labour
intensive to customize.

> Well, I agree it is very hard for many to change the design/behaviour
> when not really deep in TypoScript. Maybe I will write a better
> manual/tutorial to clarify how to change things easier...

I've done a lot of TS development (6 years+), and still I find the
interaction of the various templates in this extension difficult to
cope with--it's not just a question of improving the manual I don't
think.

--
Christopher Torgalson
http://www.typo3apprentice.com/