[TYPO3-english] Magento - Typo3

Andreas Becker ab.becker at web.de
Wed May 6 04:12:51 CEST 2009

Hi Rick and Georg

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Georg Ringer <mail-spam at ringerge.org> wrote:

> Rik Willems wrote:
> > Perhaps a nice place to start some discussion about Magento... I'm very
> > much interested in your opinions. Magento is quite new  but I hear good
> > things about it. How can I place Magento?
>
> it is the only real open source ecommerce product

Sorry Georg, but it is not I guess!

There is also Presta Shop which is 100% OpenSource and free. OSL v. 3. But
the biggest benefit in Presta Shop is its size 6MB  - it is very fast and
lightwight and you don't need those huge server specs like you would need
running Magento and TYPO3 on one server. Check it out! The Presta Shop
community is growing more and more and quite fast since Magento introduced
their Business Modell with the very Expensive Enterprise Edition.

A similar commercial Model has also the German Oxid Shop - the Oxid Shop is
also OpenSource! http://www.oxid-esales.com/ . The community edition is
released under GPL v3. Oxid has just been rewarded with the first price on
the OSBA in Nuernberg - http://www.osbf.de/en/node/1466

> > How does it compare with
> > tt_products or commerce?
>
> hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahha
> hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahaha
>
> it is like you would compare dreamwever to TYPO3, at least with
> tt_products.
>

> > Other thing I heard is that templating for Magento is hard. Some stuff
> > seems to be hard coded in stead of templated. Can anyone confirm this?
>
> templates are a mixture of php and html, hardcoded is wrong.. there are
> many templates because of so many features
>
> I like it a lot

Like Georg said it is quite complex the templating and until you get
accustomed with it is a bit a pain in the ass IMHO. But as soon as you
figured out where to find what its fine.

You really can't compare tt_products or commerce with a Shop solution like
Magento, Presto or Oxid. You won't compare a Bobby Car (Commerce) with a
Porsche (Presto) or a Rolls Royce (Magento). The last two are stand alone
applications with lots of features you will perhaps never find in commerce
or any other TYPO3 addon extension. The main purpose of these shop solutions
is to sell stuff and not to have a shop inside another CMS like with
commerce. Use typogento and you will have Magento running inside TYPO3 quite
smoothly without that people notice that the shopping power is Magento - But
you will need a very good server to run both applications on it!

Andi