[TYPO3-english] Extension for 301 redirects

Mark Kuiphuis spam at markyourweb.com
Tue Mar 24 12:54:00 CET 2009

Sebastian Gebhard wrote:
> Dmitry Dulepov schrieb:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Sebastian Gebhard wrote:
>>>  Why did you build this feture into realurl?
>>
>> I didn't, Kasper did. I never use this feature because it is highly
>> inefficient. Just imagine how it goes:
>>
>> - mod_rewrite redirects (my favorite):
>>     - Apache gets a request
>>     - mod_rewrite does a redirect to a proper location
>>
>> - RealURL redirects:
>>     - Apache gets a request
>>     - mod_rewrite redirects to index.php
>>     - PHP calls TYPO3
>>     - the whole TYPO3 Frontend initializes
>>     - RealURL initializes
>>     - RealURL scans database for redirects
>>     - RealURL makes a redirect to a proper location
>>
>> So with PHP/TYPO3/RealURL redirects you do much more work than
>> necessary. And it takes much longer and loads the server more than it
>> could. With mod_rewrite there is no need to call PHP (and TYPO3) at
>> all just for making a redirect.
>>
> I see. Thanks, i'll keep that in mind.
> The current project is rather small and server load is not topic at all
> and the 301s are mainly for google, I hope the old URLs will disapear
> from index in the next couple of weeks.
>
> So in my case there should be no issues. But your hints will be helpful
> for future bigger projects.

I tried to add the following line to my .htaccess: (follow-up on the
redirects in RealURL)

Redirect 301 /public/?act=latestnews /latest-news/

Unfortunately this doesn't work and it still shows me the 404 page.

Also this line doesn't work:

Redirect 301 http://www.domainname.com/public/?act=latestnews
http://www.domainname.com/latest-news/
(all on one line)....

This line is written in the bottom of the .htaccess file after
# Add your own rules here
# ...

Kind regards,

Mark

P.S. Unfortunately Donatas and Benjamin. I tried both your suggestions
but neither of them works....