[TYPO3-english] Extension for 301 redirects

Sebastian Gebhard s.gebhard at markenmotiv.de
Tue Mar 24 12:23:37 CET 2009

Dmitry Dulepov schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> Sebastian Gebhard wrote:
>>  Why did you build this feture into realurl?
>
> I didn't, Kasper did. I never use this feature because it is highly inefficient. Just imagine how it goes:
>
> - mod_rewrite redirects (my favorite):
> 	- Apache gets a request
> 	- mod_rewrite does a redirect to a proper location
>
> - RealURL redirects:
> 	- Apache gets a request
> 	- mod_rewrite redirects to index.php
> 	- PHP calls TYPO3
> 	- the whole TYPO3 Frontend initializes
> 	- RealURL initializes
> 	- RealURL scans database for redirects
> 	- RealURL makes a redirect to a proper location
>
> So with PHP/TYPO3/RealURL redirects you do much more work than necessary. And it takes much longer and loads the server more than it could. With mod_rewrite there is no need to call PHP (and TYPO3) at all just for making a redirect.

I see. Thanks, i'll keep that in mind.
The current project is rather small and server load is not topic at all
and the 301s are mainly for google, I hope the old URLs will disapear
from index in the next couple of weeks.

So in my case there should be no issues. But your hints will be helpful
for future bigger projects.