[TYPO3-english] Extension for 301 redirects

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Tue Mar 24 12:15:34 CET 2009

Hi!

Sebastian Gebhard wrote:
>  Why did you build this feture into realurl?

I didn't, Kasper did. I never use this feature because it is highly inefficient. Just imagine how it goes:

- mod_rewrite redirects (my favorite):
	- Apache gets a request
	- mod_rewrite does a redirect to a proper location

- RealURL redirects:
	- Apache gets a request
	- mod_rewrite redirects to index.php
	- PHP calls TYPO3
	- the whole TYPO3 Frontend initializes
	- RealURL initializes
	- RealURL scans database for redirects
	- RealURL makes a redirect to a proper location

So with PHP/TYPO3/RealURL redirects you do much more work than necessary. And it takes much longer and loads the server more than it could. With mod_rewrite there is no need to call PHP (and TYPO3) at all just for making a redirect.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team