[TYPO3-english] Templavoila does not work again

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Sat Jun 6 22:42:40 CEST 2009

On Jun 6, 2009, at 3:17 PM, Erik Svendsen wrote:

> Ries van Twisk skrev:
>

>> I don't think that Vahan is unreasonable here.
>
> Read some of the treads, and maybe you understand Dmitry better.
>
> They indicate that he is working on a really large and in some
> instance
> complex website. When you are moving to that leauge, paid support are
> the natural way.

Not really, some people can manage complex websites perfectly.

>>> A short check on your website shows a lot of bad coding style and no
>>> optimaliation.
>>
>> So what does that say???
>
> Larger possibilites for errors? Lack of knowlegde of TYPO3?

You did remove the part where even TYPO3 websites has mistakes and my
portion
about parsing templates, TV doesn't care if there is border="0" in the
wrong tag (w3c does).

>>> It doesn't make any conflict with TV on one of my test
>>> installations.
>>> Personally have I used TV for 5 years and never had conflicts
>>> between TV
>>> and other extensions (besides the conficts listed in TV).
>>>
>>> And yes there are such conflicts, but mainly because of use of
>>> xclasses
>>> in other extensions. Use of xclasses are "bad" coding behavior. TV
>>> is as
>>> far as I can read the code, one of the cleaner extensions in TER and
>>> don't use xclasses.
>>
>> Classes are bad, but they are part of TYPO3... right? Does that make
>> TYPO3 bad?
>> Apparently XCLASS is part of TYPO3 standard, if we like it or not...
>> Don't blame extensions for using using xlassing when TYPO3 has
>> support
>> for it.
>
> None of these extensions use xclassing, so its not the problem here.
>
> Yes, xclassing are a part of TYPO3, but regardless that it should be
> avoided. Personally I try to avoid any extensions which uses xclasses,
> because you can be 100 % sure that it breaks sometimes in the future.

Fully agree, but don't blame somebody using a extension
that does xclassing, I have seen core developers creating extensions
that does do xclassing.

>>> My problems with TV is mostly regarded to XML parsing problems and
>>> conflicts regarding not using utf-8 on the whole website and/or
>>> specific
>>> Norwegian characters. Then it happends that the saved mappings get
>>> lost.
>>> To be correct, they are there, but they are impossible to render.
>>
>> hint: make your template in english....
>
> I don't make all the templates (not 50 % of them), and this isn't
> only a
> HTML-template problem. It's was also a problem in the XML-parser,
> wrong
> configuration of database and so on.
>
> I have been aware of the problem since I started using TV 5 years ago,
> but's often some errors slip through.
>
> On nearly 40 websites I have had these problems 4 - 5 times, and I
> know why.
>

>> simulatebe needs to be added to the list of conflicting extensions...
>> I hope dmitry has a spare 5 minutes to do that one of these days....
>
> As stated before, it doesn't make any conflict in my tests. Before
> simulatebe can be added to any list, it has to be checked a lot more.

Agreed... I spoke to soon there

> In which order the extensions are loaded could also be the problem.

Correct, unfortunately TYPO3 doesn't help a whole let there and
often extension developers don't put there dependencies correctly
in there created extensions.

>>> And there are a problem with comments like this in TER. Very much
>>> of the
>>> comments will probably be wrong.
>>
>> Why would that be?? People can comment on them, right?
>>

> People will probably make comments without doing a proper
> investigation
> of the problem.

yes, but they's why people can comment on the comments. Much like what
happens on forums and
mailinglist.
The comment system is by no means a way of bug tracking, it's just a
comment...
I think it's a good idea....

> I never file a bug or gives comments like this unless I
> have had the ecaxt samme error on 3 different installation.

Good... keep up the spirit :)
But you don't always have to test on 3 different installations...
I have seen a share of bugs I didn't need to test on 3 different
installations.

> For instance, the use of simulatebe indicates the use of frontend
> editing. And there are extensions which are making the frontende
> editing
>  better, and most of them has the possibilities with wrong
> configuration to break TV.

TV and frontend editing os not a real good marriage, I agree..

> If something like this is going to work, the comments has to be
> moderated and commented by the author. Personally I want them to fix
> bugs.

I also want bugs to be fixed,
but we cannot possible enter all comments in a bugtrack,
and a way to comment on extensions is a good way of keeping track of
things.

Ries

PS: You need to set your reply to correctly, I got this:

<Erik at lists.netfielders.de>: host lists.netfielders.de[213.203.207.41]
    unknown in local recipient table (in reply to RCPT TO command)

<Svendsen at lists.netfielders.de>: host
lists.netfielders.de[213.203.207.41]
    said: 550 5.1.1 <Svendsen at lists.netfielders.de>: Recipient address
    rejected: User unknown in local recipient table (in reply to RCPT TO
    command)

  is that a bug or feature :) ???

> Best Erik.

			regards, Ries van Twisk

Ries van Twisk
tags: Freelance TYPO3 Glassfish JasperReports JasperETL Flex Blaze-DS
WebORB PostgreSQL DB-Architect
email: ries at vantwisk.nl
web:   http://www.rvantwisk.nl/
skype: callto://r.vantwisk